SHOULD YOU LIE ABOUT YOUR PAY TO A RECRUITER, WHY HR MANAGERS ASK FOR PAYSLIPS?

• Creator
    Discussion

Global Web experts
    Participant

You will find that these days recruiters ask about your current pay as part of the interview/recruitment process.
    You will agree that this is a dicey question.
    Most people have share different views on this, and people keep asking everyday, should you tell a recruiter about your current pay? Is it okay to tell them the exact amount? should you lie about your current salary?
    Is it even okay to ask a candidate about their current pay amount, during an interview?

Here is a view I found worth sharing, from Ema Clark – a HR & Organizational Behavior Practitioner.

SHOULD YOU LIE ABOUT YOUR PAY TO A #RECRUITER AND SHOULD #HR MANAGERS ASK FOR PAY SLIPS?

I know someone who lied & was able to negotiate 6 times more than her previous pay. Brilliant #career strategy right? Let’s find out.

Here are some arguments for & against recruiters asking candidates for pay slips:

🔲 ARGUMENT 1: If the slips line up with the figures quoted by candidates, then the candidates have INTEGRITY.

🔲 ARGUMENT 2: #employers must negotiate for the best talent at the best possible price. Thus, the slips give the employer negotiating power.

🔲 ARGUMENT 3: #employees who share pay slips from their current organisation are breaching confidentiality agreements, thus they lack integrity

🔲 ARGUMENT 4: employees are looking for better #careers thus sharing pay slips puts them at a disadvantage during pay negotiations.

Currently, I support the view that interviewees aren’t obligated to share evidence of their pay with potential employers & employers should not demand this. Employers should be ready to pay the fair market value for #talent.

Nevertheless, interview & pay negotiation skills, like the 4 tips below, are important career advancement requirements for mid-senior level professionals:

✅1. KNOW THE MARKET VALUE FOR YOUR SKILLS: find out the current market price for your #skills so you don’t short change yourself during salary negotiations. Conversely, you could also overprice yourself & this may work against you in a competitive skills market. Why should an employer pay more for equivalent talent they can get for less?

✅2. BE HONEST: be upfront and tell the potential employer what you earn. If you’re bound by confidentiality agreements, give a range. It’s important to do this for integrity purposes. Trust me, employers don’t like being lied to & work relationships should be based on mutual trust.

✅3. BE ASSERTIVE: every professional must have a career networth or valuation which is an estimate of your total value in the talent market. Don’t be shy to tell recruiters about this. You can support your valuation with information about your experience, portfolios, projects & qualifications & provide evidence about how these factors translate to you delivering value.

✅4. BE REALISTIC: don’t overstate your value & your capacity to deliver as your career net worth will reduce if you fail to deliver after negotiating a fat pay package. This may lead to your eventual exit from the organisation.

Pay negotiations are something you should deliberately prepare for so, why don’t you spend some time this weekend thinking about your career net worth & mapping out your strategy for your next pay negotiation.

I’d love to hear about your experience with interviews and pay negotiations & about your career valuation exercise.

• Author
    Replies

Ozoemena
    Organizer
    Recognized Member Recognized Member

This is very insightful, had to read it again, thanks for sharing!